Sunday, June 22, 2008

 

The Usual.

I'll admit that more often than not, especially where food is concerned, I am a creature of habit. I consistently order the same thing at the same places and rarely branch out. You call it "limited", I call it, "knowing what I like" (or "having a sensitive Irish stomach unwilling to experiment".. whatever, same difference.) That being said, my personality trait being understood, I loathe the thought that I am... dum-dum-DUM ..predictable. Somehow, the same order, every time makes me unique. Like a snowflake. A snowflake who always gets the sauteed chicken breast at Sweetwater.

The Mister is a pretty big fan of bagels after 7:30 (yes, that's A.M.) mass on Sundays. With my work schedule lately, it sure has been a hot bagel minute since I've been to mass (God understands..). It's the same bagel place we always go to. And I always order the same thing: salt bagel, untoasted with fat free honey almond cream cheese. And it was just this morning, as we walked up to the joint, I was thinking that I didn't really feel like a salt bagel this morning.

As I stared up at the menu behind the usual guy who works there, he smiled widely at me and enthusiastically said, "salt bagel, untoasted with fat free honey almond cream cheese?" I paused. I swallowed the shock of it all and said, "Uh, wow. Um, yeah. I can't believe you remember that." The guy smiled even wider and went about making the bagel. I sank back from the counter which cued the Mister to ask, "Don't you just love the small town feel of this place? I love that they know what we always order."

Which reminds me. I pride myself on the blessed (and sometimes accursed) anonymity of Northern Virginia. There is something nice about moving around in a crowd, seemingly unnoticed.

So, no, I actually don't love the small town feel of our bagel place. I ate my bagel begrudgingly -- actually asking them to make it on a french toast bagel rather than the salt, my original plan.
The Mister, happily chomping on his bagel, also known to the bagel guy, asked, "Isn't that awesome? I mean, we do come here every Sunday at the same time."

"I just don't like being that predictable," I said. "You know, I live fun and fancy free and order my bagels as the mood strikes me."

"Yeah. You always say that."

Comments:
I have never known anyone to actually order the "salt" bagels.

Amazing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?