Wednesday, April 16, 2008

 

There's never a bad reason to have cake.

Funny how word about cake being served can bring an organization to its knees -- a screeching halt, even, as workers run to get their square slice. Today was no different.

I learned today, however late, that there was a small shin dig going on with the dialysis nurses -- a group just off our unit with whom we (we= my unit) are friendly and indeed include in our shindigs.

A particular dialysis nurse there has caught my eye since I was a student nurse and I'd see him around the hospital. He's not much to look at, but I'm telling you, I swear that he is that guy that uses "finger guns" for reals in conversation. And so, not knowing him, but seeing him often, I referred to him as "Finger Guns", though he probably doesn't know that since I haven't told anyone else that I think of him thusly. Problem being, I have not actually seen him finger gunning anyone. And I don't know him all that well enough to actually finger gun him to see if I could get finger gunned in return. It's a work in progress.

But that's beside the point. The reason for the cake-serving season in dialysis today was that apparently Finger Guns has been saving all his nickels and dimes -- for 15 years -- to buy an RV. And he just did. And he wanted to throw an RV party to celebrate. And there was cake. And I had some. And it was the good pudding cake kind. And hell, it's just about the finest reason I can think of to throw a cake party. A new RV.

I had some delicious cake, didn't see the RV and didn't get to finger gun Finger Guns at a moment when it might have been truly appropriate and he might be so amped that he'd finger gun me back, thus proving that he really is Finger Guns. Damn.

Now, a word about this RV. He's apparently so tickled with this thing that he's driving it to work. Likely, he'll spend the next 15 years saving up for the gas for such an extravagant commute. He's parking far beyond the hospital, cause hell, could you park an RV where you work? I asked him today -- Any big trips? Where you planning to go? -- and he says, "Well, just work, really." Nice.

And it occurs to me that if I hit my head really hard and woke up wanting to own an RV, I'd buy it and drive in the HOV lanes assuming that no cop would pull me over because, really, what idiot drives an RV all by them self?

Comments:
wow...just...wow...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?