Friday, November 16, 2007

 

If at first you don't secede, try, try again.

For the record, I was born in the uppest part of the great state of New York. I split my formative youth between Plattsburgh, New York and Omaha, Nebraska. My mother's family spent much of 1861-1865 being thoroughly oppressed and occasionally starved by British rule in Ireland. My father's family spent the same time thinking out word problems and likely arguing the logistics of the Nation's current events in New Hampshire -- in the end, picking up the musket and joining the ranks of Massachusetts and New Hampshire brigades.

My time south of the Mason-Dixon line - compared with time lived elsewhere- is only recently tipping the scale in a C.S.A. favor. I spent most of my first 15 years not knowing much at all about "The War between the States" and "The War of Northern Aggression". It didn't figure into my life and didn't interject into my daily paradigm. Within my first month of living in Virginia, the cruel bullies of my suburban middle school swapped "new girl" for "Yankee girl". I didn't realize I was a Yankee -- more so that we were still having to label people thusly.

Long story short, I have in these short 15 years since, cultivated a real love and appreciation for the Civil War. I'm interested in less of the political "why we fought" aspect (except that I'd be happy to tell you that they were fighting for their "rahts" in my best period Southern accent), less about the dates and the outcomes of the battles, but more about across-the-board topics: battlefield medicine, biographies of the key players, espionage, sabatoge and this country's still strong fascination with what happened across 5 Aprils from 1861-1865 -- from Fort Sumter to the Appomattox Courthouse.

Here's what I can tell you -- briefly.
That all being said -- and really, there is so much more to be said -- the Mister works with a gentleman in his office who is an actual takes-it-very-seriously reenactor (Stickles translation: He's on team T.I.T.S.). And while he belongs to a Virginia regiment for the Confederacy, he does own both uniforms. Most reenactors do, in fact. And this is what a lot of people don't get. It isn't about replaying a battle to show who was mightier or who ought to have won. It isn't about freaks trying to live in the past. It's about conveying history. It's about telling a story. And I dig that. I dig it from a distance because I'm not into reenacting (yet?).

So dude-who-works-with-Mister had a battle engagement a few weekends ago commemorating the Battle of Cold Creek out in Western Virginia. And as the Mister was unable to make it, I went. And I dragged nursing-school-now-kickass-O.R.-nurse Jenni with me. And it's safe to say we both had a pretty awesome CivilWar-tastic time.

As we skulked around the camps -- eating some lost southern delicacy known as "Fry Bread" -- we encountered so many reenactors. Not one to miss a good photo opportunity, we kept asking to get a picture. The strange part was that though they very graciously and excitedly agreeded to be photographed with us, every last one of them had a startling element of surprise -- like no one had ever asked them to be in a picture in uniform before. And that's what baffles me. How could you NOT have people queueing up to get in a picture with you dressed like that?

No matter. I took advantage of them. I took pictures with the best dressed, the worst dressed, the guy claiming to be General Custer, and the man who looked like an emaciated Robert E. Lee in desperate need of a shave.


Somehow two nurses managed to find the Confederate medical corps completely by chance. Apparently there's a niche in reenacting for everyone. Real doctors and nurses will suit up and act as their professional ancestors would have in a real battle. This gentleman, who I only approached for his rotund good looks and silver cup of grog, turned out to be a real medical doctor in a DC hospital.

The first of our Confederate dead that day. That fry bread'll get you.

Seriously. Dude was just sleeping. Like in the shopping part, not the camp part. Weird.
Robert E. Lee? He's rocking it here, but imagine what he looks like normally, like everyday.

Not only did I stalk this man for a better part of the afternoon -- waiting for my chance to get a picture with him -- but I managed to acquire a slouch hat and confederate flag over the course of the day to match my aforementioned Civil War t-shirt that I felt might only be worn outside my house for just such an occasion without wry looks from others.

Jenni with the artillery boys.
The apparent Confederate bias in picture taking was merely a product of 'not that many Yanks' in the spectator area -- and the ones that were there weren't interested in pictures with the girl in the Confederate slouch hat and Stonewall Jackson t-shirt. It's a rough feeling when a Civil War reenactor thinks YOU'RE dressed funny.

General Custer actually had to be talked into taking the picture with me because of my Rebel garb. I think the General did protest too much, though, because I don't know how he didn't hear and secretly love me exclaiming to Jenni, "Holy shit! It's General Custer! Get my picture with him!" Custer's little lacky there thought he was pretty funny. Cha. See if they appreciate that humor at Little Bighorn, friend.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?