Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

Code Walker: Where are you?

So while everyone else is muggle-deep in Harry Potter's bidniss, I'm spending my quality time at work. (I might as well come out and tell you all that I didn't make it past book 4. It's good stuff, really it is. Stop judging me. I just fell into that category of people who have nothing against HP, liked the movies alright but just didn't get all wacky-wizard for the books -- my breaking point was book 4. And I'm ok with that. Stop judging me. I've been judged all weekend by the Betrothed, who without a jealous look from me, spent all weekend in bed with Harry. In the end, I think they just decided to stay friends.)

Backstory:cause this won't be funny without the explanation. And, actually, it still probably won't be funny. The one other hospital employee who I know reads this will sit back in her seat and howl. The rest of you will stare quizzically at your screens. The hospital has recently instituted a new policy -- Code Walker (advertised to the staff as "Code Walker: Where are you?" -- which I call "Code Walker: Texas Ranger"). Wandering elders are put in special bright green gowns (differing from the gowns of the more sedentary, stationary sick people at the hospital) so that on the off chance they mosey away from where we expect them to be, we can call a "Code Walker" and have their description and name announced over the hospital intercom. Basically it means -- look for the old dude in green and hey, couldja coax him back up here?

While joining some fellow coworkers to give a difficult patient a bath, most of us donned patient gowns over our scrubs to keep from getting messy. Because I can't take most things seriously, I put on the green gown. It got the laughs I wanted it to. Which was good for my humor-ego.

One of the more pioneering nurses took a picture on his contraband-during-work-hours cellphone and sent it to me.

Not funny to you -- seriously funny to me. Gowned, gloved, strangely looking mid-sneeze and giving a lame thumbs up.

Holy crap -- I love my job.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?