Tuesday, June 19, 2007

 

Hubbas for my Orientation-For-New-Hires Trubbas

1. I have had to constantly remind myself that I am being paid for this. A week long orientation that is "business casual" and covers mission, vision, values, disaster plans and patient rights. (About that "business casual". I have quite the business casual collection from my corporate years. When I reached for them yesterday, they squinted at the closet light and nervously questioned their purpose. It has been two glorious years of jeans, sweatpants, shorts and best of all, scrubs. And now I have to spend a week in lined pants with button down tops and heels?! I am being paid for this. I am being paid for this.) I am bored to tears and want so very desperately to grab my Newsweek or my crossword puzzle out of my bag (brought along for only the most desperately boring of moments) and go to my mental happy-hour. But then I remind myself that I'm being paid for this and it probably wouldn't make the most stellar impression on my new employer.

2. On the upside, while I am in a room full of nurses with years of experience on me, I know shit they don't. Lots of shit, actually. Like where the employee garage is. The secret, fast ways around the hospital. What overhead pages sound like and mean. For every clinical rotation I have had in this hospital system I have had a mini orientation to the computers, the facility and have spent enough time in the place to know how everything there rolls. On the downside, for every clinical rotation I have had in this hospital system I have had a mini orientation to the computers, the facility and have spent enough time in the place to know how everything there rolls and I still have to sit through this. I am being paid for this. I am being paid for this.

3. Either I am getting older, more bitter and jaded, judgmental and impatient -- OR -- I am the butt of some cosmic joke. With the exception of my chosen career path -- I hate being in a room full of a personality cross-sections. For example: yesterday's orientation day was full of ALL the new hires, not just nurses. And while I'm sure some of those nurses would annoy me to the point of homicide, I was more referring to the OTHER new hires.
4. I got my nursing lisence in the mail yesterday. It's officially official. I got my hospital badge and it actually says RN. I've started selling my textbooks and review books online. It'll all be worthwhile once I get out of this week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?