Thursday, April 26, 2007

 

'Allo guvnah!

So I hear that Her Royal Maj is heading to the beloved Alma Mater next week. I really would love to be there, but yup, you guessed it, I'm caring for the infirmed....AGAIN. Man, if only those sick people would get better it would really free up my schedule. I mean, GEEZ. I've been practicing my Queen-wave for years and have nearly perfected the "elbow-elbow-wrist-wrist-touch the pearls" movement of it all.

In any case, it would seem that Queenie isn't the only one making grand speeches this time of year. Yours truly was recently selected to be the student speaker at her nursing school graduation. Which, when you break it down, only means that my mom will have a FAR easier time locating me in the arena during the ceremony. Oh, and I suppose it means I might also have the rapt attention of an entire sportsplex full of people. Hm, maybe "rapt" is a strong word. I'll have their polite attention. And much like there is no such thing as "bad" publicity, any attention at all suits me just fine. Of course, it tempts the inner entertainer in me to give the people more than what they bargained for on some Virginia-hot May graduation day. It will take a great deal of personal restraint to not crack jokes or worse -- laugh at my own jokes.

I wrote this little speech of sorts and submitted it for consideration for this little shin dig -- maybe to convey a small message of importance, but also maybe decidedly to keep myself (and others.. I'm very considerate) from having to give my polite attention, even a second longer than 5 semesters, to certain windbag classmates, I have already had to listen to for far too long, who may also have submitted speeches. I can say with great certainty that no one loves the sound of my voice more than moi (and surely, the Betrothed, who finds it to be like sweet, sweet music... somewhere he's inexplicably groaning and holding his belly as if in great pain), so why not throw my hat into the competition? Much to my (and my mother's) delight, and probably to the chagrin of others, I was chosen.

I wouldn't even dare dream of posting that speech here. It is fluffly, sappy, altruistic, hopeful and worst of all, truly meant from my heart. It would totally ruin my rep. It's one thing to have a room full of strangers hear it and think that I'm a charming, thoughtful girl about to make my mark on healthcare -- but it is quite another to let you all, having seen me at my finest moments of jaded sarcasm, think me, even for a second, a softie.

Comments:
I can't wait to get my hands on that airhorn...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?