Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Walking uphill to school in the snow. Both ways.

I don't know where you are, but where I am, it's snowing. And that's a good thing. It's the very least Mother Nature could do this week to even vaguely justify the freakishly bone-chilling cold that has beset Northern Virginia (and perhaps other locales. But I don't live in those other locales, and so I am unaffected and unmoved by their cold slaps.). At least when we look outside we can visually assume that it's going to be nippy rather than having it smack us in the face once we hit the stoop in the morning.

After I graduated (that last time that I graduated), I remember being very unimpressed by snow -- as I still had to trudge my corporate ass into work everyday. No wishing, hoping or methodical snow dances would make any tag line appear on the news saying "All Work Today Is CANCELED". {In fact, the bastards I worked for used to take vacation hours away if you were late in the morning after a snow. BASTARDS!} But since I've had two years to get comfortable again as a student, I find myself late at night staring hopefully out the front window and willing those flakes to fall faster and harder. My student-take on snow is thusly: Friday and/or Saturday snow is a complete waste of precipitation. I glean no benefits, whatsoever, from it, and in fact, it is only a nuisance. Sunday night snow is a special gift. Ice is even better. Especially if it happens late at night and appears as more of a surprise in the morning to whoever has to make the call.

It strikes me as odd that here in my (hopefully) very last semester of snow-relevant school that I've only just learned two interesting tricks to ensuring the ever elusive snow-day.
  1. Wear your pajamas inside out. Interesting. It does pose a quizzical problem to those who do not wear pajamas. Who, me? Guess you'd have to sleep next to me to find out, huh?
  2. Flush an ice-cube down the toilet. I'm not sure who this serves as an offering for, really. Especially considering my visit to the final-destination for all good flushes last semester. I did pass along this intriguing tip to my elementary-school teacher of a mother who, though residing in a town that ends in BEACH, still holds out hope for the snow day. {Wimps, those BEACH powers-that-be. She tells me they get RAIN days (and she's not complaining). Days when the rain falls just too fast and too much for their little sea-level topography to handle.} She harbored a moment's concern for the plumbing until we discussed that it would probably not even make it that far, ice-cube wise.
So all these new tricks. Pajamas? Check. Ice cube in the pooper? Check. Snow falling fast? Check-check.

It would just go to figure that I don't have classes for the rest of the week... Son of a...

Stupid snow.

Comments:
I love it when you use the word "pooper" in your blog.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?