Saturday, February 17, 2007

 

Love thy neighbor..

No.

If MY neighbor loved ME, indeed, treating me as they, themselves, would like to be treated, then I would consider it. But I feel their lack of love for me negates my responsibility to reciprocate. Turn the frost-bitten cheek, as it were.

Tuesday night we were beset by an ice storm of sorts. And ice storms, academically-school-cancelling-ly speaking, are the best kind of storms to ensure a snow day. They mangle power lines, cover streets with sheets of deadly slickness. It's an equation for school-bound disaster. I love it. Wednesday I stayed indoors and watched the mayhem from the front window. Thursday, however, while the rest of the public school world decided that it was still to iffy, George Mason insisted we forge ahead towards higher learning. Bah.

Thursday morning I decided that 30 minutes would be an ample amount of time to release my car from Ice-Storm-Hock. What I didn't realize was that the ice that formed was secretly made of titanium and about 2 inches thick. And what's even funnier is that the girl who lived in Nebraska and claims to have grown up enduring the winteriest of winters there has nothing larger than the free hotel ice scraper that is no larger than a spatula at her disposal.

Needless to say, the entire "freeing of the car" operation took nearly 2 hours and involved said scraper, a garden spade, a snow shovel, patience, adult maturity and lots of kitty litter (much to the Monsters' complete confusion -- "She's cheating on us with another cat! Look how she's taking our stuff out to her car!"). You'll notice that "neighbor" was not included on my tools list.

However, that's not to say there wasn't Neighbor participation in the whole escapade.
I'd hate for you all to shake your heads at me and insist that it's 2007 and I ought to drop the damsel-in-distress attitude. I couldn't agree with you more. I am woman and I roar and stuff. I needed assistance from more of an exhaustion, unsure-how-to-dislodge-the-car aspect than the oh-you're-such-a-big-strong-man perspective. I just don't think it would have killed anyone to have offered to help.

Now back to Jesus. I think He'd back me up on this. Frankly, I think that if His camel had been locked in ice, He too would have expected that Good Samaratin He always spoke so highly of to come skating to His aid. I'm willing to wager that since the Holy Land hasn't had all that many ice storms that Jesus surely didn't mean for those old adages to extend to these sorts of wintery situations, right?

As it turns out, I've done enough neighbor-loving this week already. I let my two lab partners each use an arm to practice their IV insertions (not simultaneously. I'm neighborly, not crazy.). Apparently, when it comes to vascularity, I'm "stacked". Thought you'd like to know.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?