Monday, January 15, 2007

 

A whole lot of nothing going on...

Really, I don't think enough can be said about the subtle joys and pleasures of the College-Christmas-Break. You remember. Long, leisurely and lazy. And while this is my last real, true, unobstructed college-length break before the life saving, name changing and baby making (hopefully in that order? And maybe a rinse & repeat on 1 and 3?) I feel I ought to really make the most of it : by doing absoloutly nothing.

Nothing is an art, I think. I struggle to stay in bed past 9:30. It took me the last few weeks of December to really perfect it. Then I have to trudge to the kitchen to make something that will likely suffice as a breakfast/lunch until about 3:30 when I'm hungry again. I have to catch up on judge shows, Maury past-guest video-updates and whatever's on E!. Out of boredom (but more, really, from the recent call from the bridal shop that "the dress" is in and I can come visit it at any time) I'm spending a nice amount of time everyday at the gym. I make the Betrothed dinner, watch some tube (waiting patiently for all my shows to set aside their holiday merriment and come back to my TV again) and then do it all over again.

Oh, com'on now. I'm not TOTALLY useless. I've made some good headway on the upcoming nuptials: phone calls, we registered, paperwork, china patterns and bridal undies. I've done some spring cleaning on the old iPod, de-junked our sparest of spare rooms, reintroduced myself to my smutty romance novel collection and singlehandedly unChristmased the house (much to the cats' chagrin).

Funny thing about long breaks -- and every year you swear it won't be like that -- I'm looking forward to getting back. I don't idle for long very well. I need purpose, drive and intent. I need tasks. I need to keep my damned hands busy (Please see exhibit #1 on my coffee table -- Needlepoint. I'm so domestic.) I've squeezed every last drop of lazy out of this break and now I'm ready to buckle in, shift into gear and finish out this nursing road-trip.

One week from today I expect I'll be sitting in class (The Last Semester: Nursing School's Final Hurrah! -- be there.) wishing I could watch the mullets duke it out on Divorce Court.

2007 is set to be a big year: Graduation, Real-Job, Wedding and then Super-sweet-honeymoon. Not the least of which is that in a few weeks I'll be learning how to insert IVs into people, a nursing skill they hold off until the end just to keep your interest. And while I (and my lab partner -- Hi, J!) spend most of February looking like drug addicts with bruises and track marks up and down our forearms (maybe not me, cause she's pretty awesome, but she certainly might)-- it isn't too far of a leap until spring break and then a quick dart to May, complete with funny hats and windbag speeches.

For your entertainment, if you think you can muddle through my first 7 weeks of boring classes (hell, if I think *I* can muddle through them), then you'll be justly rewarded with the tales that are sure to abound from my final 7 week preceptorship at the hospital (specific floor to be determined; pray for something gooey) -- all patients, all the time.

In the meantime, I am determined to spend this last week really paying homage to the ghost of Christmas-Break. Wish me luck.

*****************************************
CURRENT WINTER BREAK READ NON-TEXTBOOK TALLY: 4.5

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?