Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Scenes From A Nursing School

Ahh, the never-ending semester-of-cruel-and-unusual-torture has finally wound down to the last two weeks. As it winds down, we all wind up to finish all those last minute projects, papers and of course, exams. Before I resort to throwing myself into traffic from a certain a pathophysiological conditions class that eternally makes no sense and will no doubt get someone killed in the near future from the sheer amount of bad information being propagated (but I digress), I thought I might take a moment to reflect on some of the finer aspects of the post-Thanksgiving semester-end weeks.

Gang members. Apparently they work in a stressful enviornment. Just like nurses. And firemen. We must have missed the gang member contribution to distasters like 9-11 or Katrina. We, as a society, have been terribly remiss in our understanding, NAY, our appreciation of the stressful work enviornments of gang members. I picture a resume much like this:

Work Experience:
* Crips, gang member 1998-present
*Skills: Capping over 10 homies per minute, fluent in street lingo and yo mama.

But I bet you even money they don't even get employer-matched 401K benefits or paid holidays. Frankly, it wasn't the choice I would have thought to round out the whole list there.

In any case, I was a little peeved that today I was using my first degree to supplement the lack of use of my currently sought-after degree on the unit. Art is great and all, but I don't think I got that degree to peel the back off of sticky foam holiday cut-outs. Maybe I did. Maybe I did and that's why I'm back in school a second time around? Good point. Nevermind.

In an effort to bolster my mood and shake the generally sour expression I'm sure I was wearing, I decided to make-like-a-psych-patient and sing all the Christmas carols that were coming on the radio (regardless, in some cases, of my ability to correctly remember the words). The patients LOVED it. The other nursing students HATED it. More importantly, my professor thought I was being particuarly therapeutic and encouraged me to continue. I aim to please.

And it's selfish. For as good as he felt holding my hand, I think I felt 10 times better inside watching the change in him.

Maybe he held hands with me, not knowing any better, because he wasn't in the arts and crafts session that morning listening to me make a holiday-tabulous fool of myself. He may have not wanted to be associated with seemingly the craziest person on the unit today.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?