Monday, October 30, 2006

 

That of which we do not speak.. or haven't ever spoken of before anyway..

There are a lot of things that people have said to me over the years. Far more things that have been said, really, than haven't been said. Which makes the things that haven't been said that much more apparent, when said. And one of those things was said to me today.

Scene: The Gym.
Fade in.
Me -- wailing on my glutes, minding my own business. Occasionally throwing friendly smiles to the woman working out next to me when we catch eyes.
Her -- total stranger who appears to be, dare I say it, staring at me.

Me -- obviously thinking I have something hanging out of my nose/mouth/pants or I'm making a funny face. {Sidebar: I've been told when I'm really cutting a rug on the dance floor that I am apt to make odd faces. What can I say? The music moves me, man. However, it is most likely that I may also be prone to unknowingly making faces equally as odd at the gym.}
Her -- She, staring at my legs, says, "Wow, you've got such nice leg muscles."

Me -- looking around to see who she is talking to. Because clearly such a remark is not meant for me. "Hmm?"
Her -- "Yeah, I was just looking at how defined your leg muscles are. They're really nice."

Me -- "Oh, wow. Thanks." I digress to a mental dialogue not at all dissimilar from "I am Hanz. I am Franz. And we are here to paaahm-p *clap* you up."

I dare say that no one has ever commented on my legs at all. Ever. Good or bad. Which was really not ever a major issue to me. I'm not one of those women who falls into the "legs" category. Nor am I marrying a "Leg-man". Legs are legs. No one ever commented on my nostrils before either, but apparently anything's possible, esspecially at my gym.

I have spent the last hour captivated by this potential I did not know my legs, er, leg muscles, possessed. Some things are only meant to be said once. And sometimes once is enough. I envision myself in a rocking chair years from now regaling my grandchildren about the one time a stranger at the gym said I had nice leg muscles. I figured I had to blog about it just to memorialize the moment of leg-recognition -- as it is likely to never occur again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?