Friday, July 14, 2006

 

Pop Culture Confessional (subtitled: Bless me, Father, for I have sinned)

With much thanks to the Betrothed's employer, I was taken on a delightful visit to our Northern Neighbor of Canada last weekend. To celebrate the company's 7 1/2 anniversary, it seemed fitting that the whole corps of employees + guest (ie: me) spend 4 peaceful, team-building days eating our faces off, sleeping, gossiping like highschoolers and occasionally spotting whales (in the water; though eating our faces off, four days is hardly enough to make any of us water mammals).

While I was comfortably watching a nice version of Dateline:Canada, eating sour patch kids in bed while the Betrothed played his co-workers out of their hard earned cash in a poker game, I received a phone call from the BFF.

She was back in the States minding our fur babies. We talked, we joked. I told her I had probably eaten enough to feed a small family of four for a week. After the laughter faded she came clean about her true reason for calling.

She had a confession.

What - had the cats escaped? Did the house burn? Had she seen my extensive collection of romance novels?

No, no, nothing like that. Only, the thing was... she had made a recent iTunes purchase. And though she continued to gleen sinful enjoyment of said iTune, she sought Pop-Culture absoloution.

What could be that bad, I wondered? A slow jam? Chamillionarie's "Ridin'"? 4 Non-Blondes?
No, it was worse. Paris Hilton's "Stars Are Blind".

There was a pause. A moment of silence. Before total forgiveness, however, I had to confess that not only had I seen both videos of the song, that I neglected to turn it off when it came on the radio. I even sang along. But, making it clear, I didn't BUY it.

A few mumbled words, the wave of a hand, and we were both free of our Pop-Culture sins. Souls clean and clear. We'd turned over new leaves. On the straight and narrow. Living a new life -- Onward Pop-Culture Soliders.

For our penance we read 1 Star magazine, watched an episode of Big Brother 5 and were made to be unable to get "Even though the god are crazy, even if the stars are blind... maybe I'm perfect for you.." and it's catchy steel drum/calypso beat out of heads.

We have repented.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?