Monday, July 17, 2006

 

Home Depot: You are dead to me.

Even though it is 2006, I understand that being a woman does put me at a gender diadvantage in a few, holdout situations in this world: auto-mechanics, junk yards and home improvement stores. That being said, I imagine I have it a titch easier as a woman here than a women in a 'more-consonants-than-vowels' named country that is hot more than 90% of the calender year.

Having and enjoying the truly very last summer vacation of my life, the Betrothed said that I would not have to join the workforce for these precious 8 weeks. But, hey, would I mind maybe doing a little bit around the house to spruce it up a bit when selling-time comes around? The art major in me went nuts. There will be painting and bordering. A chair rail will be installed -- it's going to be a gloriously artsy summer.

Still and for all, seeing as how it is 2006, it shouldn't be that big of a shock when a woman wants to maybe, say, complete a home-improvement project without the help of her significant penis-endowed other. Apparently the gents at Home Depot feel otherwise. From the moment I employed one of those orange-aproned men to my task, it was clear they would have rather been helping "the penis" (and not theirs... well, maybe.. but, ew, that's gross.. so, no, not theirs..).

I was called "sweetheart" and "girlie". And round about the time the man (from whom I think I may have caught lung cancer by just breathing the air about him) had to explain to me how to use a hammer and nail to affix the chair rail to the wall, I think I hit my breaking point. Had my cart not already been filled by the 45 minutes of roaming the store that was CLEARLY not laid out and organized by a woman, I would have walked out right then. After collecting all my home-improvement supplies, the joy was simply sucked out of me. Even my new latex paint "Sweet Maple", which I had spent hours deciding on, staring at and finally realizing that it was just the most perfect color, wasn't so sweet anymore.

The Betrothed assures me that this certain sexism occurs only because they aren't used to DIY women like myself. Women in this area would rather pay to have it done than to sully their fancy manicures. Point taken.

Upon arriving home, I realized, sadly, that I had left my very own tape measure at Home Depot. Good thing I brought it, too. Orange-apron-chauvinist man didn't have one handy. And good thing I had elementary math and was able to convert inches to feet because he couldn't. I wouldn't be upset about any old tape-measure except that it fits this neat tool set that I got years ago in college -- when I was tired of scoping out boys on the hall who might have a cinder-block drill bit. It's a nice set, and I won't deny that I enjoyed lending tools to all the dudes who were very impressed by my collection. (Chicks with tools are hot?) However, it's incomplete without the little tape measure that goes with it.

I called the store. I was transferred back to nameless-dude. He put me on hold to look for it. I sat in my kitchen and rolled my eyes waiting.

And then he came back on and said, "Honey, now where did you get this little thing? In a cracker jack box?"

Me (aka: Honey): "Ha, yeah. No. So I guess that means you have it. Well, that's great. So why don't you just write all your funny jokes down about my tape measure and tape them to it so when I come to pick it up tomorrow I can read them and laugh and laugh."

Nameless-Dude: "Uh, sure. It'll be back behind the counter. Have a good night." *click*

Home Depot: 0 Me: 1

(Ahh, I just hope that man doesn't end up sick and maybe, oh, I don't know, in a hospital at any time.)

I am woman, hear my miter saw.

Comments:
Oh, see, now I know you have a weblog. As if I need any more things to add to this time suck known as "getting fat in front of the computer".

BTW: I never learned to swing dance. After I hurt your arm that time i went with you and Kewl to the school dance, I was afraid to ever try again.
 
You are my hero.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?